Tips on Buying Shoes Correctly
For many people, buying larger shoes over time is common, as they may gain a half shoe size over the age of 40. There are many bones, joints, and over 100 tendons in the foot. The ligaments may lose their elasticity, which may cause the feet to flatten, and the arches to lower. Additionally, the force of the body weight causes the “fat pads” to thin, which cushion the bottom of the feet. There’s a few important pointers to remember when buying shoes. The feet are largest at the end of the day, which makes it a good time to measure the foot. Typically, there should be a half-inch of space for the longest toe while standing. Also, it's beneficial if the shoes are made from soft material that conforms to the shape of the foot. They should fit comfortably and not slip as you walk. Lastly, walking in the shoes on carpeting is a good way to make sure they feel right.
Getting the right shoe size is an important part of proper foot health. Seek the assistance of one of our podiatrists from Desert Foot and Ankle, PC.. Our doctors will provide the care you need to keep you pain-free and on your feet.
Getting the Right Shoe Size
There are many people who wear shoes that are the incorrect size, negatively affecting their feet and posture. Selecting the right shoes is not a difficult process, so long as you keep several things in mind when it comes to choosing the right pair.
- When visiting the shoe store, use the tools available to measure your foot.
- Be sure there is ‘wiggle room’. There should be about an inch between your toes and the tip of your shoes.
- Do not always assume you are the same size, as manufacturers run differently.
- Purchase shoes later in the day, as your feet swell as the day progresses.
- If a shoe is not comfortable, it is not suitable. Most shoes can’t be ‘broken in’, and comfort should be the ultimate goal when it comes to choosing the right pair of shoes
As our feet hold our body weight and keep us moving, it is important to treat them right. Picking the right pair of shoes can provide your feet comfort and mobility without pain.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact our office located in Mesa, AZ. We offer the newest diagnostic and treatment technologies for all your foot care needs.Read more about Getting the Right Shoe Size: To Keep Your Feet Happy